Be a Leader in Public Service
With Notre Dame de Namur University’s online Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree, you’ll gain the skills and advanced knowledge necessary to lead public service initiatives while advancing your career.
This broad, yet flexible credential, allows you to instantly pursue many promising and well-paying job opportunities in a number of fields. Examples of the career paths available for professionals holding a MPA include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Human Resources Director or Executive: Oversee interviewing, hiring, and training and consult with company executives to plan strategy and foster a good working environment.
- Non-Profit Manager/Director: Responsible for all operations of a not-for-profit organization including marketing, fundraising, research as well as being the public face of the company.
- City Manager: Supervises operations of all city departments, prepares and carries out city budget, oversees hiring and city staffing and more.
- County Executive/Commissioner: Usually an elected official responsible for all departments in the government of a county.
- Professor of Public Administration: Uses knowledge and experience from the public administration field to develop a syllabus and teach students effective methods of leadership and communication.
- Director of Health Services: Assess health and well being of individuals, hiring and training of new staff, oversee medications and health programs
- Financial Planner: prepare financial plans in the form of insurance and risk management plans, tax planning, cash flow, investments and more.
- Public Relations Consultant/Executive: Communicate with the public on behalf of an organization. Report business news and handle critical incident reviews and crisis situations.
- Program Administrator: Responsible for planning and implementing community programs and overseeing all program functions.
- Government Affairs Executive: oversees an organization’s policies to ensure they are compliant with government regulations and more.
- Research Executive: perform quantitative and qualitative research to determine public opinions on products, services, public programs, policies and more then evaluate and report.
- Public Service Manager/Director: Implement government policies and manage company compliance to policies
- Urban Planner: Create and manage plans to drive community development and infrastructure.
What to expect in salary as you advance your career
Representative Salaries of MPA Professionals in Public/Private Sectors
The image above shows the salary of graduates with a Master of Public Administration in a list of public service jobs and private sector careers.
Representative Salaries for Non-Profit Executives
The image above shows the salary of graduates with a Master of Public Administration who work in the not-for-profit sector.
Job Outlook by Role
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics1, many of the roles MPA graduates pursue will see double-digit growth in employment between 2010 and 2020. Many public administration jobs have already seen growth between 14% and 27% from just a few years ago. Make yourself more marketable in this time of public administration job growth with an online MPA from Notre Dame de Namur University. Our concentrations give you the skills to advance in your career and allow you the flexibility to continue in your current career while preparing for your next. Just take a look at the breakdown of expected growth of public administration jobs:
- Human Resources Manager – 14%
- Social Scientists and Related Workers – 18%
- Urban and Regional Planners – 16%
- Social and Community Service Managers – 27%
- Medical and Health Services Manager – 22%
- Public Relations Managers and Specialists – 21%
- Management Analysts – 22%
- Business and Financial Operations – 17%
- Training and Development Managers – 15%
- Operations Research Analysts – 15%
Grow into a leadership role that you potentially helped define by leveraging the skills acquired during your studies. An MPA makes it easy for you to go above and beyond your specific job duties. You’ll be able to see the complete picture, quickly adapt to change and help your organization achieve long-term success.
It’s an exciting time to have a career in public administration in private, public, or non-profit sectors. Prepare yourself for this growth of jobs in public administration with an MPA!
Don’t wait! Learn more today!
To learn more about the career opportunities available to those with a Master of Public Administration from Notre Dame de Namur University, call 855-275-1088 to speak with an admissions advisor, or you can request more information.
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, accessed 12/05/13, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/